REFLECTOR: Millin's engine in Kitplanes

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:06:36 CDT 2011


I love my ECI IOX-360. A shop put it together for me, though.
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jones Nick 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:31 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Millin's engine in Kitplanes


  Congratulations, however, I think there is an error in the editors note at the bottom. ECI offers kit engines to the end user for assembly with a free workshop to assist in building the engine. I assisted a friend of mine who built an O-360 kit engine from ECI for his RV-6A and has over 250 hours on it without any issues.

   

  Nick.

   

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Reiff Lorenz
  Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 9:46 PM
  To: reflector at tvbf.org
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Millin's engine in Kitplanes

   

   

  Andy,

   

  Congrats on having your engine-building journey mentioned in this month's (June 2011) Kitplanes letter to the editor! 

   

  Reiff Lorenz

   

  ===================

   

   

   

  Engine Guidance

  I am currently at the stage of searching

  for an engine for my Glasair III project,

  so articles like the 2011 Engine Buyer's

  Guide in the April issue are especially

  interesting to me. I intend to power the

  aircraft conventionally, with a Lycoming-

  type IO-540. At this stage, I am

  looking at all options from new to a core

  that can be rebuilt. Recognizing the

  obvious difference in entry fee, the core

  option has greater appeal. There was,

  however, a statement in your guide that

  caught my attention as an additional

  option: "Lycoming is continuing direct

  sales of its Thunderbolt line of Experimental

  engines, though the smaller

  shops have been doing well selling versions

  of Lycoming 'kit engines,' which

  are essentially all-new engines delivered

  in pieces and assembled to order."

   

  How tantalizing. Which shops? How

  much does this option cost? Can I buy

  the box of parts and assemble it, or does

  the "smaller shop" assemble it? Also what

  is meant by "doing well?" I have looked

  around on the Web and found only one

  case of someone buying a box of engine

  parts and building from scratch (search

  for "Building an Engine from Scratch"

  by Andy Millin). In the end, he didn't

  recommend going this route. Are there

  other stories out there? I cannot find

  them. Any guidance that you can give so

  I can research the details of this option

  would be greatly appreciated.

   

  Dan Brown

   

   

  The Lycoming Kit Engine Program has

  been around since late 2005, and does provide

  an "engine in a box" for professional

  shops to assemble. The benefit is that each

  shop starts with all new components from

  Lycoming-in essence, an entire engine

  just not yet assembled. Currently, four

  shops are approved as Kit Engine assemblers:

  Aero Sport Power in Kamloops, British

  Columbia; G&N Aircraft in Griffith,

  Indiana; Teledyne Mattituck Services in

  Mattituck, New York; and Triad Aviation

  in Burlington, North Carolina. This

  program is not open to customer assembly

  of engine components.-Ed.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20110419/d343b398/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list