REFLECTOR: speed control

sbjknox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 27 21:23:15 CDT 2009


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at roadrunner.com>

> Subject: REFLECTOR: speed control


> Well I am a little confused. I purchased a motor speed control from ACS. 
> The speed control has three wires to be connected. One picks up 12V power 
> with a 1A fuse, one goes to ground, and the third supplies power to the 
> switch on my control stick. Seems pretty simple, but upon investigation of 
> my present system, my elevator trim motor is being supplied by a 20A 
> breaker. The Manuel indicates the use of a 10A breaker. The 20A breaker 
> which supplies power to my switch also is supplying power to my electric 
> turn bank and my landing light. It seems like I should break these three 
> into three separate breakers, two tens for turn bank and landing, and the 
> recommended 1A for the speed control which will feed my elevator trim 
> motor. My question is this. Is 1A enough to feed that motor? If not what 
> should be done to install the motor speed control?
Lou Stedman
Velocity SEFG
N7044Q
Olean, NY

>>>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with your decision to split them to their own breakers.  However, 
I'm sure that 1 Amp is not enough for the trim motor speed control and the 
elec T&B does not need a 10 A breaker and should be ok with 1 A (or 2 or 5). 
10A should be ok for the landing light.

You may get some replys that say that the sizing of a breaker (or fuse) be 
dictated by the size of the wire and not the load.   I am not going to argue 
for or against that... you can decide that one.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ




More information about the Reflector mailing list