REFLECTOR: Static port stuff

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 11:52:28 CST 2009


Scott,
Good points.  Why settle for less than the best we can do?  This is not an
answer to that question, but here's a thought.    

Static pressure reading are subject to a whole grab bag of influences.
Since we have unpressured cabins and in flight below 150 kts venting to the
cabin in my sense of things solves the problem.  Ram rise thru a newly
opened gear door at 110 kts is going to be small.  I know my bird stalls
just about 68 or so knots.  If it is 68 knots plus or minus 2% based on
static plumbing changes, operationally I cannot control my approach or
landing speeds from a pilot control standpoint any better than that.   Just
my two cents.  I cannot argue you point as anything other than well taken.
Terry 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:34 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Static port stuff

Scott,

In my case, the external static port has been properly calibrated.  If I
discover that the AP works better on cabin pressure, I will be strongly
inclined to use cabin pressure.  I realize that with gear down, the cabin
pressure may change a bit, and I'll have to determine if that significantly
affects speed and altitude readings.  If you can think of another reason not
to use cabin pressure, let me know.  Of course I don't yet know if it will
make a difference with the AP.

John

--- scott at tnstaafl.net wrote:

From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Static port stuff
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 07:56:34 -0700

For some reason I am reluctant to accept using cabin pressure as a fix
to an improperly calibrated external static port?

Having cabin pressure as an alternate source seems prudent. 

Calibrating the static port is part and parcel to rigging the wings, or
rudders during the first 40 hours of flight. A necessary part of setting
up your aircraft for phase two flight?  Why settle for less?

Scott

Terry Miles wrote:
> Bill,
> First congrats.  The de-bug part of building can be quite a task.  Right
> when you thought you would be about done.  Have you considered just
yanking
> the static port line from inside and just using the ambient cabin
pressure?
> I have mine hooked up to outside and no problems to report, but I know
guys
> with autopilot alt hold issues that consider this as a possible fix.  Are
> you up to date on this topic?
> Terry
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of LAURA WALKER
> Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 5:41 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Static port stuff
>
> Just wanted to thank everyone for their excellent input on my pitot/static
> situation. I tried the low altitude test at 200 kts over the airport, and
> sure enough, my altimeter read almost 400 feet high. I have since added
> three layers of metal tape behind the port, but have not had a chance to
go
> up and test the change.
>
> The good news is that I now have 40.1 hrs on 36 Lost Vacations, so I am
all
> set to get it down to my home field at EYE this weekend. I have been doing
> my Phase 1 testing at TYQ, and can't say enough good things about Dan
> Montgomery and all the excellent staff at Montgomery Aviation. If you are
in
> the Indianapolis area, you will find a welcome like few others at this
> airport. They are now well-versed in Canardness, and can speak pitch-buck
> and flapless aviation with the best of them. 
>
> I'll post my static change results as soon as I find out myself.
>
> Bill 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>   



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list