REFLECTOR: Oxygen systems

KMis178813 at aol.com KMis178813 at aol.com
Sat Feb 14 19:24:21 CST 2009


Since we are on the O2 discussion I have a question. Does the O2 get old if  
stored for a extended period of time? As I recall SCUBA tank air does get 
stale,  what happens to it I don't know. If O2 does get stale, how long before one 
would  not use it anymore? I did fill the tank at a establishment that 
supplied  aviation, welding, and medical. It all came out of the same hose the price 
was  the only difference.
    Ken
 
 
In a message dated 2/14/2009 8:11:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
scott at tnstaafl.net writes:

I fill  mine from a K bottle in the hanger.  Its welding grade, and the
shop  doesn't care what I use it for, though if they did care I would lie
and say  it was for welding.

There is no water in welding, aviation, or medical  grade oxygen. None
what so ever. It is extremely dry and made so.   Thats an OWT.

The only difference between welding and aviation/medical  grade oxygen is
the refill process require the aviation/medical bottle to  be purged to
some level of vacuum for some period of time before filling  with the
same oxygen gas as used in all of them.

There are also  special handling rules for medical/aviation grade
bottles.  The shop I  get mine from has stopped carrying medical/aviation
grade bottles because  he doesn't  want to conform to the new  handling
requirements.

Scott

Kent Murley wrote:
>  Dennis -
> 
> My experience is with the Mountain High system. I  think they have an  
> updated version but even my original version  EDS On Demand pulse  
> system works great.
> 
> I got  a mask and cannula for each EDS but you really don't need the  
>  mask until above 18K. I usually fly under 14K feet where it's warmer   
> anyway. The cannulae work fine though an extra foot of tubing would  be  
> nice between me and the tank hanging on the back of the  front  
> passenger seat.
> 
> I $plurged and bought  the lightweight 22 cubic foot Kevlar wrapped  
> tank and think it  was well worth it. With the EDS it lasts many trips  
> for 1 or 2  people but if you haul 3 or 4 people all the time it might  
> only  last one long trip. Everyone is amazed at how light weight it is.
>  
> I set my EDS to turn on as I climb through 5K feet. The pulses  are  
> very short that low. Up at 14K the pulses are still less  than half a  
> second while your total inhale is about 2-3  seconds. That saves so  
> much air.
> 
> Aviation O2  and welding O2 is the same but its almost impossible to  
> get a  welding shop to fill your tank because they've been warned about   
> liability issues in the past from aviators and divers. Just don't  use  
> medical grade O2 because that has water vapor added to it  (to keep  
> patient's lungs moist) and water vapor at altitude  could freeze your  
> regulator.
> 
> Kent
>  
> 
> On Feb 14, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Dennis Martin wrote:
>  
>> Flying at altitudes here in the Utah Rockies, I'm considering  all  
>> the brands of oxygen systems. Aerox has the glow meter,  Mountain  
>> High has "Pulse Demand," etc. etc. etc. Delta Air  King offers a lot  
>> of capacity for less money than other  systems. I've never flown with  
>> oxygen, so any opinions on  which systems you like would be  
>>  appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in  advance.
>>
>> Dennis Martin
>> Chevy Powered 173  FG Elite
> 
>  _______________________________________________
> To change your email  address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
>  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw =  tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  Check old archives:  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>  


_______________________________________________
To change your  email address, visit  
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives:  www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

**************Nothing says I love you like flowers! Find a florist near you 
now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090214/35d5e4ff/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list