REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape

Douglas Holub douglas.holub at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:57:53 CDT 2009


How do trailing edge fences improve climb rate?

Doug Holub
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Stockman, Bill 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 7:46 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape


  I have flow with the fences now for almost four years and they make a significant difference.  I experimented with one, two and three on each side and ended up with one on each side of the ailerons.  They improve ailerons effectiveness and climb rate.

   

  Bill Stockman

  Senior Associate

  Dayton Aerospace, Inc.

   

  937.426.4300 W

  937.369.4799 C

  bill.stockman at daytonaero.com

   

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Douglas Holub
  Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 12:22 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape

   

  Sounds like a good idea, Al. Have you got a picture?

   

  Doug Holub

    ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: Al Gietzen 

    To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 

    Sent: Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:57 AM

    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gap Seals, fences, zig-zag tape

     

     

    Anybody flying with aileron gap seals?  Notice a great improvement in

    climb and responsiveness?

     

    Scott;

    I have flown with the gap seal on, off, on again; and find no detectable difference.  I suppose it depends on whether there is much of a gap in the first place.

     

    He's using the zig-zag tap in front of the rudders and says it more than

    doubled the effectiveness of them at low speeds.  No noticeable

    reduction in cruise.   Said he saw them on Klaus S. EZ.

     

    Double the effectiveness sounds like too big a change to be true.  OTOH; I have never really felt that I had a lack of rudder response - but I guess I've managed to avoid landing in strong cross winds.

     

    He also said the trailing edge fences were a dramatic improvement with

    no cruise speed penalty.

     

    I have a fence on the in-board end of the aileron.  I can't tell you how much difference it makes because I put them on before ever flying.  I had seen enough tuff-test info on EZs, and observed oil drop tracks on Velocity, to know there is span-wise flow under flow separation at high angles of attack. A fence could only help, and give better aileron authority at low speeds.

     

    Al


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20090831/63c6067f/attachment.htm>


More information about the Reflector mailing list