REFLECTOR: Status
Alex Balic
velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Wed Aug 26 22:29:16 CDT 2009
I have a separate power bus in the back that runs the coils, injectors, and
the O2 sensor heater- that buss has it's own breaker right in the middle of
my panel, so I can get on it immediately- the ECU power comes from the fuse
panel in the side of the instrument panel- Tracy Crook says to keep the
noise off of the ECU power supply- for good reason. Have not had any
problems with running at all to this point.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Brian Michalk
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:32 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Status
I would like to share some experience on my electronics installation.
I went with an Autronic, which is automotive based, and fraught with
it's own particular issues. The main difference being the distance from
battery to high current components.
The schematics all show injectors, coil packs and the ECU all powered
off a common power wire.
THIS IS NOT OPTIMAL, no matter how much they tell you to not mess with
their supplied harness. If I recall correctly, even the SDSEFI guys who
fly RV's also share the power wire.
The proper way to power an ECU is with its power separate from injectors
and coils. If you have external coil modules, like I do, those also need
to be powered off ECU power. My first testing with a harness revealed
that the coil packs and coil modules would pull voltage below five
volts, causing spurious firing on the plugs. Moving the coil module
power to a clean ECU power source let them perform properly, not being
influenced by the huge drop in power going to the coil packs. Low
voltage on the coils is not a big issue. The Bosch modules I'm using
have automatic dwell based on RPM. At low RPM, dwell is increased
causing a bigger drain on the power.
Long story short: separate ECU power from high load devices. Same with
grounds too.
It's the same philosophy with sensor/signal power and their grounds.
Alex Balic wrote:
>
> Hi Andy
>
> Well- I have been doing all of the wiring based on Bob Nuckolls stuff-
> and after getting things set up on my all electric 2 battery, 2
> alternator system, I decided to do a modification requiring still more
> wiring to simply run a split master for main and emergency buss
> instead of the voltage-dropping diode feed- so got that done, then the
> Blue mountain EFIS was giving me bad info on my engine
> instrumentation, so I had to spend a bunch of time hand calibrating
> every one, and then I needed to get the Ed Anderson engine monitor
> (great unit) running properly- it had an unexplainable problem with
> cutting off when the engine ran up past 3000 rpm- so last weekend,
> with Ed on the phone (on Sunday no less) , I troubleshot that and got
> it fixed- I need to use the Air/Fuel ratio function of that gauge to
> be able to get the Tracy Crook ECU tuned in- so I am planning to get
> some big chocks and get to that this weekend- been busy with work and
> a baby on the way, so I get only about 6-8 hours a week on the plane,
> and when you are doing wiring, sometimes it takes an hour to just sit
> and figure out exactly what you were doing when you shut things down
> the previous time!!!
>
> Really, there is not that much left on my to-do list- after I get
> things tuned, I will start my taxi testing and see if the cooling
> system is sufficient and then if it is, I will get the tops of the
> wings to final finish and primed (bottoms already are) Cowling
> finished and get wheels up! Maybe I can make Sun N Fun next year at
> least in primer- will keep fingers crossed!!
>
> Alex
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> *On Behalf Of *Andy Millin
> *Sent:* Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:00 AM
> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Status
>
> Hey Alex,
>
> We've seen your engine run video. Seen the panel all lit up. It looked
> like you needed to shoot some primer and go kill some bugs with your
> ship. :)
>
> How is it going? Jonesing for an update.
>
> Andy
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list