REFLECTOR: ceramic coated exhaust pipes

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Mon Nov 3 08:06:55 CST 2008


Part of the prep for the coating process is bead blasting- so unless the old
pipes are damaged, they should be fine to coat.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 8:45 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ceramic coated exhaust pipes

Yeah, there must be something to this.  I searched for info that was 
negative about ceramic coating and couldn't find anything, other than it 
not sticking.

I wonder how well it would stick in used pipes.  I'd hate to have it 
slough off and run through my turbo..

Scott

Tom wrote:
> Al, there are some advantages, particularly for those with updraft 
> cooling. You're correct about the outside coating not doing much. A 
> good, inside coating is needed which only a few places do well. I've got 
> the short stacks from Velocity and since they slip apart, they were able 
> to get a good coat on the inside.( Jet-Hot) I did gain over 100 static 
> rpm after install but I believe that was mostly due to the exhaust 
> system change. It's definitely cooler under the cowling, cooler CHTs and 
> less risk of heat damage on tightly closed cowlings. I can hold my hand 
> on the exhaust shortly after shutdown.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list