REFLECTOR: center spar strength, dynafocal engine mount, a promisi ng engine

doug.holub at tx.rr.com doug.holub at tx.rr.com
Wed May 14 23:23:19 CDT 2008


Thanks. The bullet idea worked! 

Doug
---- Fred Kerfoot <fredkt46 at juno.com> wrote: 
> 
> 
> -- <doug.holub at tx.rr.com> wrote:
> Can I drill holes through the back of the spar to run the fuel line and alternator cable through the firewall? Isn't the strength of the spar in the caps?
> 
> If drilled in the area of the firewall, a couple of small holes would not reduce the strength in any significant amount.  Be sure provide adequate chafe protection on items passing through.
>  
>  
> Also, is there a trick to lining up the holes in the type 1 dynafocal mount? I can only get one 7/16" bolt to fit. I've got 3/8" bolts in the other three holes.
> 
> Make yourself a bolt starting pilot by grinding the threaded end of proper diameter bolt to a smooth bullet shape and cutting the head off.  Start the pilot through the holes then push it all the way through with the proper bolt.  A little WD40 helps.  Be sure the pilot is short enough to go ALL the way through. (Don't ask me how I know.)  Also, I use bolts that are drilled for a cotter pin.  I put a length of safety wire through the hole.  It helps starting the pilot and keeps it from getting lost when it comes out the other side.    
> Sometimes tightening the top bolts then letting engine sag against the lower mounts helps getting the lower bolts started.
> Fred K
> 
> _____________________________________________________________
> Find the right teaching school to meet your educational needs. Click to learn more. 
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3njBiWkfywSj3oTpO2NGMWnpRLc1R5HVAWsN7c7us72r01Al/?count=1234567890



More information about the Reflector mailing list