REFLECTOR: VG for naca scoop.

Brett Ferrell reflector at velocityxl.com
Wed Mar 19 12:28:16 CDT 2008


Tony,

I think that this is the article that you're referring to.  I've been seeking to expand my website with more content for owner/flyers as well as builders, and since there were so many great articles in the views I requested permission from Rick Lavoie to reprint some of them (to which he graciously consented).  Here's the direct link:
http://n44vf.velocityxl.com/articles/views/VV_1Q2003_VG.pdf

Brett
www.velocityxl.com (old builder's site)
www.n44vf.com (new overall site)

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Tony Babb <tonybabb at alejandra.net>
>  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: VG  for naca scoop.
>  Sent: 19 Mar '08 10:32
>  
>  There  was an article in Velocity Views a couple of years ago about VGs on
>  the top NACA  scoops. Sorry I don't recall exactly what they said.
>  
>  -----Original Message-----
>  FROM:   reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] ON
>  BEHALF OF   Al Gietzen
>  SENT: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:05 AM
>  TO:   'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>  SUBJECT: Re: REFLECTOR:   VG for naca scoop.
>  
>  
>  Can anyone tell me how far ahead   of the oil cooler scoop to place the
>  vgs to increase flow, also I want to put   some ahead of my cabin
>  ventilator on the bottom of the pan as I'm not getting   much flow out of
>  the vents in the back seat.
>  
>  
>  Any thoughts would be   appreciated.
>  
>  
>  \Thanks
>  
>  
>  Jim
>  
>  Jim;
>  
>  
>  I’m not the expert,   but I don’t think it’s a one
>  answer fits all.  It depends on where the   scoop is and how much boundary
>  layer buildup is expected. It may have to be   trial and error.
>  
>  
>  If you are speaking   of the stock NACA inlet on the side near the nose, I
>  wouldn’t expect much   potential from VGs.  At that point there
>  isn’t much BL, and relatively   high pressure on the diverging
>  surface.
>  
>  
>  As a general   answer, I’ll just guess about 12” for small VGs
>  and shallow BL and further for   larger VGs and thicker BL. Maybe someone
>  else has some experience and   empirical data.
>  
>  
>  Al
>  --------------------
>  _______________________________________________
>  To change your email address, visit [LINK:
>  http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector]
>  http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>  
>  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  Check old archives: [LINK:
>  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html]
>  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list