REFLECTOR: wing-winglet layup C

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Sat Mar 15 09:13:50 CDT 2008


This is probably only directed to Andy Ellzey and Jack Prock fellow 
slow builders that always seem to blaze the trail ahead of me but who 
knows...

I was getting ready to do layup C today when I noticed this line in 
the 5/2006 manual for figure 2-28 "Keep lay-ups forward of the rudder 
bellcrank cutout".

This would seem to be impossible with the glass schedule. The largest 
piece of glass is 20" wide.  The end of the wing forward of the rudder 
bell crank cutout is only about 14" wide. Even the narrowest uni is 
15" wide.

In the videos and in some other builders (e.g. Andy Millin) they put a 
piece of bid aft of the foam area to make a cave for the rudder 
bellcrank and then covered that area with glass as called for in the 
schedule. This was exactly what I was going to do until I saw the 
statement to keep the glass forward. Now I don't know what to do. [Why 
do these questions always come up on the weekend?]

I'd always been a bit dubious of the cave idea since it seems to kind 
of odd to make it so hard to get to the hardware in that area. So that 
"keep forward" directive makes good sense to me but I'm unsure what to 
do with the excess glass width. So Andy and/or Jack what did you do?

-- 
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531
Velocity XL5-RG (T-2810 hrs) N758SG (reserved)
Pittsboro, NC (9NC8)
http://fatcatair.com


More information about the Reflector mailing list