REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?
Joe Ewen
Jewen at comporium.net
Wed Jan 9 19:39:41 CST 2008
For the best performance of paints and coatings, the conventional wisdom is
to use one brand of products through the process. So the primer should be
driven by the desired top coat. For example I used PPG's Deltron line
base/clear for my finish coat, so I used PPG's epoxy primer and surfacers
that are specifically compatible with the Detron line. IMO, this reduces
the risk of incompatibility between components that can cause failures a
couple of years down the road. Prepping, painting and finishing a airplane
is a big enough job that I would not like to repeat anytime soon.
Using compatible systems may also save a lot of time. For example PPG's top
coat or surfacers can be applied wet on wet to their epoxy primer within 7
days. This eliminates the need to scuff the epoxy prior to application of
subsequent coating.
With respect to additives to lower cure temperature, I would be cautious.
Is there a trade off of other physical properties? When anti freeze is
added to concrete is usually comes at the price of a pour that ultimately
has a lower strength.
Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Goldman" <steve at fatcatair.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: priming "how to"?
> Grigore Rosu wrote:
>> Since in IL there will be a few more months of temperatures below 75F, a
>> primer that can cure at lower temperatures could probably make more
>> sense in my case. Searching aircraftspruce, I found the following one:
>>
>> STITS EPOXY PRIMER WHITE EP-420/EP-430
>> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/stitsepoxyprimerwhite.php
>>
>> It cures at temperatures down to 35F!
>>
>> Do you think this one may work well, too? If you see any drawbacks in
>> using it please let me know; I can just wait a few more months and then
>> apply the more common awlgrip 545.
>
> I'm pretty sure in my wandering around the AwlGrip site that they have
> an additive for 545 to get a cure temperature to the 40's.
>
>
> --
> Steve
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list