REFLECTOR: glide ratio

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 4 12:36:43 CST 2008


I too have measured about 15:1 on my 173 RG, fixed pitch, engine idling, only one on board, half fuel and gear up.  

Ron   
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Al Gietzen 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 12:51 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: glide ratio



  I had an unscheduled off-field landing in my 1996 SERG last year and have first hand  experience at guessing the glide ratio :-). I lost the engine at 1700 AGL and glided at 100KIAS about 1.25 miles with a 20 knot headwind. My constant speed prop was in climb pitch (it felt like a barn door hanging out in the wind). Not sure if this helps.

  Kirk Aragon
  N360TV

  Kirk, Robin;



  That turns out to be a glide ratio just over 5:1, after adjusting for the wind. I assume that is 'gear down'.  Heavily loaded? XL, SE, or LW?



  In practicing power off emergency landings, I found 'gear up' and 'gear down' to be quite different. With gear up, 90-95 KIAS, engine at idle (about 600 rpm on the prop), I was seeing a sink rate of about 600 fpm. That's a glide ratio of 15:1, which makes me think I better do that over again because it seems too high.

  SE RG loaded to about 1980 lbs.  I didn't check 'gear down'; but estimated around 9:1.



  More data needed,



  Al





------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080104/1b027437/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list