REFLECTOR: Havin' fun

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jan 3 17:50:40 CST 2008


 

Yeah, Al, MORE info on you 20b install and real life experience now that is
is more than a pile of fiberglass/foam and metal.  Those also choosing a
Rotary (13b for me) REALLY want to know the details.....no detail too drab

 

I have followed your project from the beginning.  Gorgeous Velocity and
great work on your engine, paint and interior and panel too!!  Those fly by
pictures make it all worth while!  I'd love to hear the rest of the story
after your taxi testing. Your web site at
http://members.cox.net/alg3/airplane.htm does a great job of describing your
project, but I, for one would like to hear much more about how your engine
and airplane performed during flight testing and subsequent operations.
You've done a lot of great work - you need to brag a bit about it!

Ron; Chris,

 

Thanks for compliments and interest.  Yes, I’ve pretty much abandoned the
web site since the plane has been in the air.

 

There really isn’t that much to tell regarding the engine and the plane
beyond what I have posted here from time to time.  The primary issues with
the plane had to do with having to re-set the incidence of the canard (no
one told me up front that the Wingco canard, with it’s 8” more span and a
bit higher camber needed at least a full degree less incidence.  I also had
to adjust the wing incidence just a bit, which didn’t surprise me that much
since I noted that the leading edge profiles were slightly different on the
two wings (also from Wingco).

 

The canard was stalling at too high a speed, and when pushing the speed up
to about 190 KTAS the elevator had to be at full down trim – plus a bit of
forward force on the stick to stay level. Any faster and it would climb
regardless.  I reduced the incidence, added a tapered shim between the trim
spring and the bracket at the torque tube, and added VGs on the wings –
mainly in front of the ailerons. Now the gear-down stall is about 70 kts, no
issue with down trim up to 205 KTAS, and it is interesting that I fly with
close to ¾” trailing edge up on the elevators, and it doesn’t seem to change
much with speed or whether I have a front seat passenger.   I like the way
the plane handles; and the drag is obviously low because I can cruise at
about 170 KTAS burning right around 9.2 gph.

 

The engine installation has been remarkably (I think) without issue so far
(about 80 hours) – except for the ECU for the electronic ignition and fuel
injection.  It is a unit custom tailored for the rotary from Real World
Solutions, and is an adaptation of a unit first designed for the 2-rotor.  I
was about the first to use this unit, and had on-going issues with
corruption of settings.  The unit is not very tolerant of electrical noise,
and there were a couple of circuitry problems relating to the adaptation to
the 3-rotor.  Nothing that would ever stop the engine, but required
monitoring and was a distraction.  After many months of working at it; all
the issues have been resolved; and I am quite happy the units performance
and ease of operation.

 

The wing root oil cooler does not serve quite up to expectations.  My
investigations lead me to conclude that there is some amount of turbulence
in the airflow behind the retracted gear, just due to the cracks around the
gear doors and the protrusion and the opening at the wheel.  It is a fairly
wide shallow scoop, and was designed assuming clean airflow.  It is only an
issue during extended climb when the OAT is above about 70F – then I have to
limit climb rate to something more like a Cessna after the first couple
thousand feet.  On cool days it’s up and away at close to 1500 fpm – Woohoo!
I’ll address the issue again as we get toward summer.  I have solutions in
mind.

 

The engine is smooth, relatively quiet (no worse than a Lyc), and has very
good power.  One lever control and simple operation.  Maintenance is easy
and inexpensive. One of these days I’ll borrow an O2 tank and see how high I
can go – so far haven’t been above 11,000’.

 

I like the dual screen GRT EFIS with the built in GPS.

 

In hindsight; I’ll have to say the project required a great deal of
tenacity. Kudos to anyone who finishes one of these and flies it.  And
Chris; I can’t comment on your dating issues, but you need to know that when
building an airplane – that is your mistress:-).

 

Always happy to answer any specific questions.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080103/6b72ec9a/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list