REFLECTOR: Oil Breather and Separator

Craig and Denise Woolston cdwoolston at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 05:15:29 CDT 2008


Don't know, it's sealed up.  I thought it had a mesh of some sort.  I have a
suspicion that oil is being sucked out the vent oils in the top of the
oil/air separator can because of where I mounted it and the remnants it's
leaving behind.

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 7:13 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Breather and Separator

 

Craig,

 

What's inside the can?  I have had some friends advise that it's the
stainless steel scrub pads stuffed into the can that really does the work of
condensing out the oil vapor.

 

Keith Hallsten

 

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Craig and Denise Woolston
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 6:09 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe

 

Hey Chuck-

 

  What separator are you using?  Or did you make it?  We have the $100 can
from Spruce and not sure if it's where we mounted in on the firewall but it
does a fine job of distributing oil mist inside the cowl.

 

Craig

 

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:26 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe

 

Bob, have you considered an air-oil separator? The turbo's will create
higher cylinder pressures (temps) and thus more blow-by through the rings.
This will send more oil/water vapor out the breather and into the
exhaust/atmosphere. Anytime you weld an exhaust pipe, your adding a stress
riser which can crack and fail. If you do it, you might want to have it
normalized (heat treated) afterwards.

 

I've had a separator for years and it works well. I'm also finishing my
add-on turbo and plan to keep the same system. I get very little oil through
the separator discharge tube and my oil analysis has been fine.

 

Chuck H

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20080428/48f8c9fe/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list