REFLECTOR: Oil Breather Nipple Into Exhaust Pipe
Bob Jackson
bobj at computer.org
Sun Apr 27 11:29:16 CDT 2008
Chuck, Kirk, Brian & All - thanks for all the ideas and suggestions on
routing the oil breather into the exhaust pipe.
Thinking more about it based on Brian's astute observation that although
there may be fairly high (in our case ~108 ft/sec exhaust gas velocities per
side at WOT since ours is a twin turbo design) doesn't necessarily mean high
exhaust gas pressures at a oil breather nipple if it's located only about a
foot from the exhaust pipe outlet (our case). If I did my math right, I
figured the 108 ft/sec exhaust gas velocity from our ~225 cfm per side air
flow rates through 2.5 inch diameter exhaust pipes. I'm also now thinking
that although our intake air rate may be ~450 cfm total, the exhaust gas
rate will probably be considerably higher than that due to the combustion of
the fuel too, correct?
What Brian says makes good sense to me - how can you have high pressures
that close to ambient pressure when it's only a foot away through a 2.5"
tube? But my EE background is not strong enough in flow dynamics to figure
it out exactly. I'm probably splitting hairs, as Brian says! Does anyone
have the theoretical background to confirm that oil breather back pressure
(or Venturi 'vacuum' affects) should not be an issue, depending on the angle
of the nipple into the exhaust gas flow?
More information about the Reflector
mailing list