REFLECTOR: Headset recomendation

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Apr 6 09:01:55 CDT 2008


I just returned for a refund the Quiet Technologies "Halo" headset. 
This is an in the ear non-anr headset. A close knock off of the Clarity 
Aloft(guy who makes um used to work for Clarity) and very similar to the 
Lightspeed Mach 1.  It was just too loud.  They advertised similar 
attenuation as my Lightspeed XC's without the ANR on but I though it was 
much louder.  I loved the feel of it, seems like your not wearing a 
headset at all.

I am flying in a 210 which is louder than a V, but not as loud as most 
GA tractor airplanes.

I tried on the new Lightspeed Zulu, wow, is that comfortable!  If its as 
quiet as they say, it should be a winner, though the price is steep. The 
battery case/control module is also very large and heavy, not sure I 
would like that too much. The bluetooth capability sounds good, it would 
make listing to my Moto Q9M easier(one less wire in the cockpit) for 
podcasts, music and using the phone.

Another problem I have is glasses.  I wear um, though my license says I 
just have to have them with me.  The gap in the ear seal created by 
glasses lets in a lot of noise.  Anybody found a cure for this?  I've 
always wondered why one of the headset companies hasn't come out with a 
ear seal that has a notch in them for glasses.

My Lightspeed XC's just don't seem as comfortable as they use too. Nor 
as quiet.  My age showing probably. I'm considering the Zulu, but the 
price is hard to swallow.

Anybody have another  recommendation?

Scott







More information about the Reflector mailing list