REFLECTOR: Thermal exhaust Wrap

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Tue Oct 9 15:19:32 CDT 2007


I'm wrapping my turbo and possibly the transfer pipe from the collector 
to the turbo. The turbo wrap is a a blanket that has some kind of 
metallic outer layer to keep it dry and free of oily spills.

Same reason, to keep the heat away from things in proximity, like the 
engine and engine mount!

Scott

Alex Balic wrote:
> A similar experience led me to wrap my pipes as well- didn't grab
> fortunately, but got me pretty good- you know that pipe didn't "look"
> hot...... :) really, I was more worried about proximity to fuel lines, pumps
> and wiring- I have a turbo, so the exhaust runs up between the firewall and
> the engine- just warm to the touch now.....
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 7:07 AM
> To: velocity at davebiz.com; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Thermal exhaust Wrap
> 
> Dave Philipsen wrote:
>> and after the engine has been running you can grab the exhaust pipe with 
>> your hand and it won't burn you.
> 
> thats a really good thing. Right after the first engine run on my 
> engine, I was peering into the hose jungle trying to see where an oil 
> leak was coming from and yep, grabbed the exhaust stack right where I 
> had been hanging onto it for 6 months, yow!!!  3 weeks later I'm still 
> peeling...
> 
> Scott
> 

-- 

-
     The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public 
papers... [A despotic] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army 
of newswriters who, without any regard to truth or to what should be 
like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the 
ministers.

     Thomas Jefferson to G. K. van Hogendorp
     Oct. 13, 1785. (*) ME 5:181, Papers 8:632


More information about the Reflector mailing list