REFLECTOR: Onboard CPU

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Wed May 16 20:26:02 CDT 2007


Hi Brian,
Sorry for the dealyed reply.  I have built a PC into my aircraft, some of 
the details are as follows.
I have built a Pentium 4 into my instrument panel.
    Harware 2.8 GHz P4
    1GB RAM
    Permenant Storage for OS, Program, Data
        Western Digital HD (will not be used in flight)
        Solid State HD - Compact Flash (2G) through IDE adapter and/or
        USB Flash
    2 Xenarc 7" Touch Screens
    IO sub system,
        Measurement Computing - USB Aquisition Modules
            (8) 1208-LS, 8 Analog In, 2 Analog Out, 16 Digital IO
            (2) USB-TC, 8 Thermocouple Inputs.
        3 USB ports built into panel, for temporary keyboard, mouse, 
application and data transfer, etc
    AHRS Sensor
        TBD - RS232 Interface, probably Micro Strain 3DN-GX1
    GPS Interface
        KLN-89A via RS 232
        Portable via Panel RS 232 jack
    OS
        Windows 2K
    Application Programming Language
        Visual Basic 6
    Custom Applications (Completed or Planned)
        Engine Monitor
        Electrical Systems monitor, monitors all electrical circuit 
supplies. Alarm or warning on circuit loss, engine
            monitor values (HH, H, L, LL) and AC sub systems like gear down 
warning.  Alarm or warning is
            based on flight mode (mode is controlled by last completed 
electronic checklist.)
        Engine Control Unit Interface - Real World Solutions EC2 (Mazda 
Rotary installation)
        AHRS - AH, AS, Alt, AOA, Turn Rate, VSI, Slip Ind, etc
        Checklist System - Integrated to electrical systems monitor
        Moving Map - Based on downloaded Geo Referenced TIFFs of sectionals 
from FAA.  AC position
            superimposed on map per GPS position.
        AP - 2 axis, (this functionality may be moved to a PLC), possibly 
auto throttle and prop control.
        NEXRAD precipitation data integrated with mapping and GPS position. 
This function dependant upon
            finding real time Nexrad data at a reasonable cost.
        Data logging of engine and flight data will be to either an Access 
or SQL database.

This is an overview of what I have built or planned so far.  Most of the 
hardware is installed and wired except for
engine instrumentation.  The short answer to your question is yes this is 
home brewed, but not too far from the skills I use
at work.  I am a plant engineer for a plastics manufacturer (my plant has 
the worlds widest PCV extrusion line),
with a strong focus on controls, inventory and data automation. I would be 
happy to team up and share systems engineering
and/or programming where we may have similar approaches.

Thanks,
Joe





----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery


> Tell me more about your computer.
> Is this homebrewed?  Want to team up?
>
> Joe Ewen wrote:
>> Landing as soon as practical is probably a wise choice, but isn't it nice
>> to
>> be in the position to make the choice..  If I were flying to my home
>> base,
>> was say an hour out, sever clear, day VFR, I lost the alternator, and
>> knew I
>> had 2 or more hours of electrical reserve I might consider continuing on
>> to
>> my destination.  But then I would start to wonder if the problem was
>> electrical or mechanical, what if an alternator bearing had failed and
>> the
>> stator was being ground to dust, what am I going to loose next would be
>> on
>> my mind.  In my case the alternator is driven by a belt shared with the
>> water pump (auto engine conversion.)  Will continued mechanical failure
>> affect the cooling system?  It doesn't matter how much fuel or electrons
>> I
>> have on board, I may end up with a forced landing.  In my case the
>> prudent
>> course would be land and check it out.  Installations are different and
>> it
>> is possible that a alternator failure in another AC may not have the same
>> risks, so the decisions may be different.
>>
>> In my case I am planning on reviewing possible failure modes and
>> documenting
>> the course of action prior to first flight.  This will be part of my
>> emergency procedure section of the manual and onboard computer.  Better
>> to
>> think through problems on the ground.  These procedures will be
>> incorporated
>> into the onboard CPU Warning and Checklist systems, so options popup on
>> the
>> screen the same time as the warning.  The computer monitors the 50+
>> branch
>> electrical circuits as well as all engine and flight data, so I should
>> see a
>> failure like an alternator long before I loose too many electrons.
>>
>> Well enough rambling, should get back to building.
>>
>> Joe
>>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list