REFLECTOR: One or Two oil coolers?

HYTEC45 at aol.com HYTEC45 at aol.com
Mon May 14 09:02:11 CDT 2007


 
In a message dated 5/11/2007 7:12:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
scott at tnstaafl.net writes:

Its  funny we have those that have or had an IO360 powered Velocity that 
ran  just fine on one cooler.  Direct experience told them that the  
standard configuration built correctly works just fine..   These  are 
real life Velocities flying today that don't have a problem with one  
cooler. 

Then there are those that one cooler didn't seem to do the  job,  we will 
never know why for sure. So their cure was to install  another cooler, 
which is fine.  But these folks just can't admit that  there are 
Velocity's flying around with one cooler and working fine.   Why can't 
they admit that?



Here is another example of the reflector becoming a "chat Room" with  posts 
not relating to any real data that is helpful to a  builder.  Great info, some 
work with one, some don't, but let me stir  some sh*t.  Let me offer some 
data, and this as a possible  explanation.  Some 360's have oil spray nozzles in 
the main case.   These nozzles spray oil directly onto the base of the pistons 
for  additional cooling.  This was done to lower CHT, but with a  cost.  Guess 
what that is?  Higher Oil temp #1.  The  nozzles also tap off some oil 
pressure and at higher oil temps, and  this is detectable.  I don't like seeing 
70PSI when oil temps are above  220' in my engine.  As I mentioned in a earlier 
post, oil temp relates to  the life of your engine.  Some think that staying 
just below red line is  fine, and again, I don't care.  I also have a stock 172 
and It has oil  temp issues in the summer.  Funny, this Cessna sled has a green 
zone,  followed by a red line on the oil temp gauge with no yellow zone.  
Some  posts regarding one cooler mention they have climb restrictions.  When I  
had one cooler, I had climb restrictions to due to high oil temps even though 
my  CHTs never got above 380(nozzles). Now, I can climb out of anywhere, to any 
 altitude with 10:1 and never back off, and stay below 210 oil temp,and 
360CHT  and stay above 73psi.  If that can be done with one cooler, super and I'm  
all ears!!
 
So, who ever posted that there new Velocity has oil temp problems, and is  
scratching there head now with all the confusion,  see if your engine is a  
model with nozzles and do some investigation.
TEC



************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070514/f4b43d21/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list