REFLECTOR: Odyssey Battery

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 15:26:09 CDT 2007


Chuck,

Ok, now i'm harping...

In our application (big engine, long electrical run,
etc) with a PM starter, you really need CA & CCA. PM
starters draw a ton of them. I hated not being able to
crank the engine over when I knew the battery still
had juice left just because the PM starter required
too many amps to get past the first compression
stroke. I do have 10:1 compression. 

Are you sure that your old POC starter was a PM? If it
was, it probably wasn't geared to turn the RPM's the
way the latest PM's from Sky-tec and B&C do. On the
surface higher RPM starters sound all good, but it
doesn't do any good if your battery can't deliver the
CA to get them going when the going gets tough. 

Just my experience, Pat

 
--- Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com> wrote:

> Pat,
> 
> I have a B&C starter, new.  With the FLA, when I hit
> the start button,
> it won't make it past the first compression stroke. 
> Then, I promptly
> hit it again and it'll get the engine cranking and,
> holding my mouth
> just right and squinting, the IO 540 starts every
> time, even when hot,
> though it requires a bit different technique. 
> Before this battery got
> old 'n weak (some mechanical things I can identify
> with!), it used to
> spin an old permanent magnet POC (piece of crap)
> starter off of some
> certified POC airplane pretty well.  
> 
> I'm hoping the combination of new battery and new
> starter will spin the
> engine fast enough that I can taxi over to the fuel
> pumps, even if the
> engine doesn't light off.
> 
> Chuck Jensen


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list