REFLECTOR: Franklin engine noise?
Brainard, Jerry
Jerry.Brainard at anthem.com
Mon Mar 19 15:11:10 CDT 2007
Sounds to me like your idle may be too low. May also be a little rich too, but you can tell that by the color of the exhaust pipes. If it's too rich, the pipes will be black. Probably the prop too. Mostly, that is a very low idle speed.
- jerry
________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 12:40 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin engine noise?
I have a favor to ask for those who are flying a Franklin.
Would someone able to capture the engine startup, runup, and idling sound digitally? It does not have to be "audio-phile" quality. Some handheld device is fine but preferably with gain set low enough that it does not clip due to high sound pressure.
What I am looking for is...
Startup, running at 1000rpm, runup at 1700rpm, mag-check, then idle with throttle pulled all the way back.
I am convinced that my Franklin is "missing a beat" but I do not have any reference to compare against.
I finally got mine running again this weekend (changed the ignition harness) and it is back to its old trick of growling and shaking. The shaking is most pronounced when the throttle is pulled back all the way and the engine is idling at 600rpm or so. You can see the canard tip bounce around ½" or so at the tip. My wife thought that I had some bolts loose.
Hiroo
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information or otherwise protected by law. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070319/502f2f66/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list