REFLECTOR: Franklin engine noise?

Michael Watson mikewatsspg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:31:39 CDT 2007


Hiroo,

My Franklin will struggle to idle below 800~ 850 rpm. It sounds like
a dragster at 1000 rpm which is where my idle is set..

At 700 to 850 rpm, it will shake the canard very hard and do bad
things to your engine mounts.

I would suggest you set the idle screw to 950 rpm min then
peak it with the mixture screw. that should bring it up to 1000 rpm.

If you would like, I can call you from the airport and put the phone
by the engine so you can here it.

Mike W.

On 3/19/07, Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>  I have a favor to ask for those who are flying a Franklin.
>
> Would someone able to capture the engine startup, runup, and idling sound
> digitally?  It does not have to be "audio-phile" quality.  Some handheld
> device is fine but preferably with gain set low enough that it does not clip
> due to high sound pressure.
>
> What I am looking for is…
>
> Startup, running at 1000rpm, runup at 1700rpm, mag-check, then idle with
> throttle pulled all the way back.
>
> I am convinced that my Franklin is "missing a beat" but I do not have any
> reference to compare against.
>
> I finally got mine running again this weekend (changed the ignition
> harness) and it is back to its old trick of growling and shaking. The
> shaking is most pronounced when the throttle is pulled back all the way and
> the engine is idling at 600rpm or so.  You can see the canard tip bounce
> around ½" or so at the tip.  My wife thought that I had some bolts loose.
>
> Hiroo
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



-- 
Mike W
1997 Velocity Elite RG
Franklin /IVO Electric CS
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070319/3597f5aa/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list