REFLECTOR: epoxy

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 19 09:50:22 CDT 2007


Ben,
 
You may want to place the speed brake in the opening and gauge the
clearance.  If it looks tight, you may want to consider just removing the
old bid.  It is easier than you might think.  A paint stripping heat gun
will have it all off in a couple of minutes.  I would be happy to provide
more detail on the removal if you would like.
 
After abrading the surface, I use the shop-vac to remove dust.  I do not go
back with Acetone.  Any residual dust will become part of the end matrix.
The dust is made of epoxy and glass.  You can use Acetone if you feel the
area was contaminated after abrading.  Be careful about getting acetone on
the blue foam.
 
The Shop-Vac also has another advantage.  You will see shiny (unabraded)
spots very quickly and can take care of them before the epoxy goes on.
 
Andy
 
 
 
  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Benedikt Harren
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 7:02 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: epoxy


Dear all,
 
just came back from my shop with a  couple of questions:
I bought a STD. RG E with fastbuilt wings & fuselage. The previous owner
completed the speedbrake without installing it. He applied microglass and
fine BID to the outer edge of the speedbrake per the manual which he
afterwards sanded. While sanding he cut into the BID leaving at some places
micro only. Since the speedbrake will be out in the elements I was wondering
if I need to cover the edge with BID a second time.
 
Second, I started sanding the front of the canard bulkhead in order to apply
the 2 plies of BID as outlined in the manual. How do I clean off the sanded
areas? Cloth? Acetone? Does Anybody know whether the mixing ratio of
hardener (brown) to resin (44:100) is by weight or by volume? What is the
tolerance?
 
Thirdly, I am planning to low-cut the keel and move the seats more towards
the center of the fuselage in order to gain some "hip-room". Scott Baker
told me that the original keel can be modified. Anybody any drawings or
input on that?
 
Appreciate the help!
 
Kind regards,
 
Ben Harren
( Std RG Elite N888GF / just getting started)
 
 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070319/a05de802/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list