REFLECTOR: Tips

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Sun Jun 24 12:31:49 CDT 2007


Subject: REFLECTOR: Tips

 

I need some advice from you Vel flying experts. I have about 12 hrs in my
Vel and have yet to master a gentle landing with the nose. I come down final
at about 80 kts over the fence and let it settle down to the runway at about
75kts. I do not do a flare. my mains touch down great but then my nose slams
down. What am I doing wrong?

 

Lou Stedman



I certainly no expert; just getting a handle on good landings myself, and
I'd guess each plane is just a bit different.  What is your canard stall
speed? First thought that comes to my mind is you need to maintain maybe 5+
kts more speed so you are a bit further from canard stall when the mains
touch, and maybe a bit lower AOA.  I also have found the someone else's
advice of trimming so you have to put a bit of forward pressure on the stick
as you land helps, then just relaxing that pressure as you touch gets you in
the right direction.

 

Certainly wouldn't argue Scott B's point regarding transition training. 

 

I guess if the throttle is  totally closed the prop is acting like a brake
and pulls the nose down once the mains land and create a fulcrum, where as
if its making just a tad of power it pushes it up. 

 

This seems backwards to me since the thrust line is well above wheels; drag
on the prop would help to hold the nose up.

 

FWIW,

 

Al

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070624/d18d39b8/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list