REFLECTOR: Aileron Torque Tube

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 15:03:57 CDT 2007


Larry,
 
It was not a belief it was a fact and I reported it.  I had some torsional vibration engineers calculate the twisting moment of the 3/4" aluminum tubes and it was impossible to absorb the full stick deflection from right to left without the ailerons moving when held with the thumb and forefinger.  The only answer was the tube had to assume an arc.  SS tubes solved the problem and gave quicker & consist ant response to inputs.
 
Jim

 
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying 



----- Original Message ----
From: "Milehitaz at aol.com" <Milehitaz at aol.com>
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 2:38:10 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron Torque Tube


Question for the collective,
 
The original aluminum torque tube stock I received with my kit was badly bent in a Bi-fold hangar door incident a while back and I need to order new stock. 
 
I vaguely remember something about folks going to steel tubing VS the Aluminum between the bearing and the connection to the Aileron. 
 
If memory serves me the modification was because there was a belief the Aluminum was "twisting or flexing" at high speeds and not providing all intended input. I see in the newest version of the construction manual the factory still lists the Aluminum tube.... Anyone flying have input here?
 
Thank you in advance for your help.
 
Larry Lambert
XL/RG 






See what's free at AOL.com. 
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070606/5dd001d9/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list