REFLECTOR: Landing Light

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Wed Jun 6 14:56:23 CDT 2007


Andy,
When he says that his LED is about the same brightness as an
incandescent, I'm not sure what incandescent he's talking about...some
won't hardly light up a closet and others will illuminate a ball park
(though not very well).  I think David Staten has it about right--go get
a $450 HID that'll light up the night, draw modest amps and last
thousands of hours.  LEDs are cool, and improving rapidly but visible
lighting with LEDs is far less of a challenge than reflective lighting
required for illumination, i.e. landing light.

Chuck Jensen 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Millin
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 3:02 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Landing Light


Chuck,
 
Dmitry Shapovalov in Russia is building a Velocity.  He has engineered
an LED landing light.
 
http://www.velocityaircraft.ru/landing_lamp.htm
 
He said it is about the same as the incandescent in brightness, but
draws much less power.  I saw him last year at OSH and he said he is
redesigning it to use a newer, brighter LED.
 
Andy

________________________________

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 2:35 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Landing Light


Kevin,
 
Given the physics involved and despite the rapid improvements in output
from LEDs, I would guess we are still "light-years" from seeing an
effective LED landing light, though I don't know what kind of lumens a
GE4509 put out.  LEDs are great for being visible at night, but to light
up the night, that's a significantly greaters challenge. OBTW, if you
find one....I'll take one!

Chuck Jensen 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Velocity_AZ
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 1:52 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Landing Light


Has anyone found a suitable LED replacement for the GE4509 landing
light?
 
Kevin
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070606/bbbff62f/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list