REFLECTOR: Strake construction
Keith Hallsten
KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Sat Jul 28 14:42:32 CDT 2007
Doug,
Your photo shows that you are making a significant deviation from the plans
with your strake bulkhead arrangement, and I hope you have fully evaluated
the consequences! Reducing the number of bulkheads will increase the loads
on the remaining bulkheads, and will also increase the bending moment in the
strake skins due to the increased span between supports. The anti-slosh
effect of the bulkheads will also be reduced, increasing risk of structural
failure in turbulence. The bond to foam is very weak, so increasing the
thickness of the foam core of a bulkhead will have only a very small effect
on the strength of the joint. I suggest that you either do a complete
structural analysis to prove that the arrangement will be adequate, or else
go back to the plans!
Keith Hallsten
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Holub
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 7:01 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Floaters
Thanks for the info. I found the red balls at www.fletchair.com. The new
part number is 401129-5. It's in section 28 of their online catalog. Below
it in the catalog is a seal with a hole in it (called "U-cup seal for AA1
fuel gauge") which might work well to keep the ball in the tube.
I hope to install my sight gauges next week. Attached is a picture of my
fuel tank. I wanted to keep it simple so that it would be easy to seal. So I
have only two fuel bulkheads, and I used 1" foam instead of 3/8" foam so
that there would be plenty of room for lots of goop on the top edge.
Doug Holub
----- Original Message -----
From: David <mailto:Dastaten at earthlink.net> Staten
To: Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> Owners and Builders list
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 12:47 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Floaters
Fletcher's and Fletchair were bought by Wilson a year or two again. The
number should work, but googling for fletcher's may be a dead end.
I'd met mister Fletcher several times in the past, and admired him for
keepin the business up even into his 80's.
Dave
PUSHERPILOT at wmconnect.com wrote:
Chuck,
I found the info on where I bought the red fuel balls:
Fletchair, Inc
9000 Randolph St
Houston, TX 77061
713 641- 2023
Part No 5407 4001 4097 0757
AA1 Fuel Float Ball
I think that these are for a Grumman A/C
This info is seven years old, but you can give it a try. I installed wires
to keep the ball from going out the top or bottom.
Good Luck,
Mel Bina
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070728/601a942a/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list