REFLECTOR: Fuel gages, long flight bladder management, was Floaters

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sat Jul 28 09:54:21 CDT 2007


Sid,

The diaper is a good trick but obviously not new (Re: Astronaut Nut-Job
from Texas), but I concur, when at altitude and knocking out miles, it's
a pain in the bladder to have to stop....an hour and 2-3 gallons of gold
down the drain, though the GWT will be a little less the rest of the
trip.

With your one-gauge-serves-all, do you have sight gauges on the
individual tanks so you can tell if one is feeding feeding uneven?  Say,
a cap loose/leaking or a wing low and ball not centered.  Some report
having seen a feed difference between tanks of as much as 10 gallons, so
your central gauge is just an average of the two?  When I posed the
question, "if one tank has 10 gallons and the other is empty, what
happens?"  There was silence---I don't remember if that was in the
response, or if that was the response!

Chuck Jensen



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Sid Knox
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2007 8:19 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel gages, long flight bladder management,was
Floaters


Hi Chuck,

> I take it the photo showing 65 gallon capacity wasn't from your Velo. 
> If it was, you get the big-tank award.  Or, if it was in liters, you 
> get the teenie-bladder award.

No, it is gallons...total in both tanks (since they are plumbed
together). 
Max fuel in my Velocity is 72 gal with both tanks filled to within about
1/4 
inch from overflow.

As for the bladder issue on long flights, here is another trick I
learned 
from a magazine article... carry an extra-absorbent baby diaper in a 
zip-lock bag. Use as many times as necessary during the flight and
simply 
drop the bag in a trash container at your destination.  Yes, this may
sound 
silly, but on a long flight (I don't like to stop once I get going) it
pays 
off by allowing one to drink water as needed to prevent dehydration.

My longest non-stop flight was from Ashland Oregon (SO3) to Tahlequah 
Oklahoma (TQH) about 1500 st mi. Flying solo and running well
lean-of-peak 
(Lyc IO-360C1C, MT 3-blade) and with some diversions for storms in
Kansas, 
flight time was about 10 hours and I still had about 1.5 hours fuel when
I 
got home.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list