REFLECTOR: structural adhesive and milled glass?

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Jul 17 22:48:53 CDT 2007


Doug,

 

Sure - milled glass is slightly itchier to work with than flox or cabosil
(fumed silica), but the epoxy doesn't care!  The fumed silica does a bit
better at stiffening up the mix so that you don't get any voids due to the
epoxy flowing out of the joint.  If this is tending to happen, some
tactically placed peel ply should deal with that problem.

 

You didn't make clear whether you are bonding the bottom strake skin to the
CS spar, but that's what I'll assume you are doing.  The other thing I would
note about that step is to not get too carried away with your clamping
arrangement.  When I did that I pressed a depression into the stake skin
just adjacent to the spar which had to be filled later - not fun.  I had
applied more clamping than called for.

 

When closing one of the strakes I forgot to put plastic sheeting in the
space between the back of the tank and the front of the CS spar to catch the
drips.  That's another one of those things that's obvious after the fact,
but not always obvious beforehand. 

 

Have fun!

 

Keith Hallsten

  

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Holub
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:59 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: structural adhesive and milled glass?

 

The plans say to glue the strakes to the center section spar using
structural adhesive and cabosil or EZ-poxy and flox. I don't have any
cabosil and I want to attach the strake bottoms tomorrow. Would stuctural
adhesive and milled glass be good?

 

Doug Holub

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070717/d7e88dc0/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list