REFLECTOR: Questions with new Franklin

Jerry Teitsma jerryteits at comcast.net
Sun Aug 19 14:28:16 CDT 2007


I have some questions about a new Franklin engine.  First of all, I accumulate darker engine oil in my intake manifold.  After only a 30 minute flight, I will have about 2 tablespoons accumulated in the prop end of the intake manifold on each side and it will be dripping out of the crossover pipe connection.  Where does this come from and is there a danger in taking a longer flight?  Secondly, I am told that I should break in the engine at full power to increase manifold pressure to better seat the rings.  My field is at 8200 ft and I have difficulty getting high manifold pressure.  Also, the handbook encourages not getting above 13 kts.  Is there a way to do everything?  Thirdly, I am having trouble with high oil temperatures.  I have one oil cooler in the nose and 5/8 inch hoses to the front.  I have put in the stiffer spring.  I get up to about 216 under steady low power cruise and it increases when I land.  I suspect the answer is to put in a second oil cooler but I am out of room under the cowling.  Suggestions? 
 
Jerry Teitsma

970-887-3910 (Phone/Fax)
jerryteits at comcast.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070819/baf803cd/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list