REFLECTOR: MUSCLE PLANES
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 08:21:08 CDT 2006
Tom,
Most of your questions can be answered in Richard Finch's book "Converting
Auto Engines for Experimental Aircraft" 4th edition.
I bought mine after I started my project (and discovered that I was doing
most of it right).
You can get this book on Amazon.
I bought an Aluminum 4.3L Chevy block and designed the engine to get the
power curve where I wanted it. In the end, I have an engine+redrive that weighs
about the same that an IO-360 does, but I have 340HP. I built everything from
scratch and used the best parts I could buy.
Since I did mine myself, it took a LOT of design, fabrication work. My guess
is that using an auto engine and doing it all myself doubled the construction
time. This would be quite different if you just coppied a working arangement!
Yes, it is smoother, quieter depends on the install.
Yes, you need a reduction system... Lots to chose from.
I would guess, usually the install ends up costing about as much as a good
overhauled aircraft powerplant. I suppose it could be done cheaper.... but not
when safety is paramount.
However, Once it is built the costs to maintain and overhaul would be Much
less than an aircraft engine.
A couple other things to consider:
Insurance can be more difficult on an auto engined aircraft.
Resale value.. who knows. If you are lucky enough to find a buyer that feels
like you do about auto engines... probably not a problem. If not... it can
make a big difference.
It WILL take longer! to build
Ask yourself why you want to do this... then see if it is worth the effort.
Ask others that have done it... and get input. There is a lot of info out
here.
Kurt Winker
173FGE 340 HP Aluminum V-6 Chevy.
505-610-3676
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060928/a28bdc44/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list