REFLECTOR: 24 volt electrical system

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 01:09:13 CDT 2006


Good advice Ronnie....

Best... Steve



----Original Message Follows----
From: "Ron Brown" <romott at adelphia.net>
Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: 24 volt electrical system
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 14:09:32 -0400

Message
That is the nice thing about building your own airplane - you get to make 
all of these decisions for your own preferences.  As Chuck points out, Bob 
Nuckols makes good points about the claimed weight savings and supposed 
economy of the 24 volt systems.  Bob's responses are very much worth reading 
- and I believe he has much more experience with OBAM's and airplanes than 
Greg has.  But both are worth reading!

I'll also add some real world experience about 12 volt battery capacity - I 
had the alternator field wire break on a flight from Atlanta to Ft Myers.  I 
knew I had plenty of capacity but didn't push the issue, so I shut down my 
strobes, Garmin 430, and auto pilot which are the biggest loads on my plane 
(well the Nav lights, pitot heat and landing lights are even more but these 
aren't daylight cruise loads).

I had plenty of power (still reading 12 volts when I got to Ft Myers) to 
turn the 430 back on, put the gear down, and communicate.  I fixed the field 
wire (be sure to double crimp those insulated crimp connectors or use shrink 
to minimize the vibrating wires!).  It also started the next morning without 
having to recharge the battery.

When I got home, I made sure to run a load test - over 4 hours with 
everything on except lights and the autopilot.  Voltage at the end of the 
test was 11.8 volts and everything was still working fine.  I am using a big 
ole car battery ($65 for a 72 month battery) from AutoZone.  Always cranks 
even after sitting in the hangar for a month.  I changed out the original 
battery after 3 years, took it to AutoZone to have it tested just for my 
information and it was still generating rated ampacity.  So I have no qualms 
at all about ole low tech auto batteries....  and you can buy them anywhere, 
24-7.

So roll your own for the plane you are building!!!!

Ronnie Brown
N713MR - 173 Elite RG
http://home.sprintmail.com/~romott/page10.html



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list