REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
Jim Agnew
jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 18:00:42 CDT 2006
Like I said before, I have one just like Larry's and all it took to correct it was a trip strip in front of the static ports.
I rolled different sizes of O-rings back and forth on the probe until I found the right size and then cast the trip out of Aeropoxy construction adhesive.
Jim
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
----- Original Message ----
From: Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 10:06:50 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
Yes, you heard it here! The problem with the bow wave was with the static port. I have a pitot static probe and the static ports are on the top and bottom. The pitot function works fine but the static ports, which are closer to the nose, see pressure from the bow wave. I abandoned the pitot mounted static ports and went to a static port on the side of the fuselage below the door. When you think about it, the pressure created by forward facing things is what makes a pitot system work.
Larry Coen
N136LC
----- Original Message -----
From: gpoole
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
….. thought I read somewhere recently (…thought it was here!) that a problem found with the nose mounted pitot tubes in most homebuilt instances (probably why that military one is soooooo long!) is that they are not out of the pressure wave and give a false reading…..
Greg Down-Under
(warming up early here already and we’re not even past the Spring solstice!)
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Friday, 22 September 2006 2:09 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
I just bought one of those on Ebay, too. How far should it stick out in front of the nose?
Mine extends just so the bleed hole (water drain) on the bottom is exposed.
Al
Doug Holub
----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Hallsten
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
I have the same one mounted on the pointy nose of my XL project. I bought it as “new, old stock” on E-bay for $75. It came in the original manufacturer’s packaging – it was manufactured in May 1961!!! I have every intention of avoiding visible moisture and keeping to “VFR meteorological conditions” so I won’t cry if it doesn’t heat well or for too long. It will certainly work as an unheated pitot!
I got some high-temperature-rated thick wall phenolic tube and turned a mount for it, which then was glassed into the fuselage. That way it won’t melt the nose off! J
Keith Hallsten
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:30 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
Chuck;
I think you are looking for a AN 5813-1; 28 volt, heated. That’s what I have in the nose of my plane. I think when I bought mine it was $129. AS&S now has it for $645. I hope mine never goes bad.
It works fine on 12V when it is mostly shrouded as it is in this installation. Be sure to insulate from the fiberglass.
Al
Subject: REFLECTOR: I'm Pitot(ed) off
As Little Richard would say, "help, help, help me"--too bad you can't hear the falsetto and waving hands!
I'm looking for a 12v heated pitot that fits on the pointy-nose of an airplane....not a right angle type. Just a straight bayonet that mounts in the nose. I know they make 'em because I have one that's only about 3 years old (but now inoperable for reasons I'll not go into). I checked AS&S, Wicks and the usual suspects, but they don't seem to have what I'm looking for--all right angle jobs. Any leads or ideas?
Chuck Jensen
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.7/454 - Release Date: 21/09/2006
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.7/454 - Release Date: 21/09/2006
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060922/0af61940/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list