REFLECTOR: Please Help-Problem with my wings!
lawrence epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 15:50:22 CDT 2006
folks,
Still can't find the rudder cable conduits.
Can anyone who has ALAN's (Wingco) wings, give me measurements from
top/bottom/trailing edge where to look (where you found it)? as you can see,
I have excavated the blue foam from the trailing edge back to the foward
edge of the hole (about 6 1/2 inches forward of the trailing winglet edge)
and top to bottom.
Larry
>From: "Alan Shaw" <mshaw4 at cfl.rr.com>
>To: "'lawrence epstein'" <ljepstein at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: Please Help-Problem with my wings!
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:23:32 -0400
>
>Lawrence,
>
>To increase leverage on the bell crank at full deflection our rudder
>conduits sweep forward from the TE approaching the end of the bell crank at
>almost a 45 degree angle. When the rudder is deflected fully then the
>cable
>ends up perpendicular to the end of the bell crank.
>
>If you are looking for the conduit as drawn in the factory plans...coming
>straight out the wing...you may be looking too far forward.
>
>If you had contacted me before cutting the hole I would have recommended
>cutting the hole in the outside of the winglet. This way you are not
>cutting on the edge of the heavy winglet attach structure and it is easy to
>dig into the foam where the conduit is.
>
> Let me know how it goes and send more photo's if you still can not locate
>the conduit.
>
>Alan Shaw
>
>
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: lawrence epstein [mailto:ljepstein at hotmail.com]
>Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:36 PM
>To: Information at wingco.com
>Subject: Please Help-Problem with my wings!
>
>Alan-
>I hope all is well. I continue to follow Wingco/Atlantica and look forward
>to it's success.
>
>Anyway-
>
>I have been trying to find the rudder conduits on my (WingCo/V173) wings
>and
>
>can't!
>
>There was a lot of spillage in the recess where the internal arm should go
>and the conduit (Outboard) end should be as well as some "displaced" triax.
>I spoke to a few people who had your wings and had similar problem finding
>the condit end and all said just keep digging and cutting. I confirmed with
>the factory that even triax cut away 5-6" in the well would still not be a
>structural problem.
>
>Anyway, digging was a problem from the opening. I then saw a velocity at
>Oshkosh that had your wings and had the same problem. He had cut an access
>panel about 3" diameter centered 5" fwd of the opened edge (he covered it
>wth plexiglass to have easy inpection of the rudder cable/turnbuckle). THis
>looked like a good solution and I again discussed it with Duane Swing and
>Ken Baker @ the Velocity tent and all were OK with the structure.
>
>Well I cut the holes and dug away, completely exposing the outboard end of
>the blue foam of the wing from about 3 to 7 inches fwd of the winglet open
>edge, top to bottom and NO CONDUIT!!!
>
>Where should I look now? Any suggestions? I have tried to get a stiff wire
>thru the conduit from inboard to outboard but anything heavy/stiff enough
>to
>
>chuck in a drill, won't pass more than about 3 feet and and the smaller
>stuff goes only about 5-6 feet.
>
>I have attached a photo
>
><< ATL06frqshade.jpg >>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PICT0001.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 0 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060901/cadd42ad/attachment.jpg
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: PICT0005.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 0 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060901/cadd42ad/attachment-0001.jpg
More information about the Reflector
mailing list