REFLECTOR: Test Area - and "essential crew"
Hiroo Umeno
humeno at microsoft.com
Wed May 10 13:47:58 CDT 2006
Quite interesting indeed...
It seems like much depends on the DAR. I've always thought having
another body in the right seat with a clipboard would be quite handy for
the flight testing as I need to rattle off some numbers and have them
jot down as I go along. For things like when the pitch buck starts,
things that happen during take-off and landing rolls, buffeting, etc
when I will be quite busy flying the plane.
Definitely something to ask the DAR about.
Thanks, all for good discussions!
Hiroo
________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:52 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Test Area - and "essential crew"
My
understanding of the FAR was that you can only land at one field during
the Phase 1 and will have a box somewhere nearby over sparsely populated
areas.
That was my understanding as well, but while discussing possible other
landing strips in my test area for emergency landing, my DAR indicated I
could land at any field of my choice at any time. Nothing in the
operating limitations limiting where I land within the test area.
The other interesting thing is the change in wording on the operating
limitations regarding other people in the plane. Previous wording I had
seen was no one besides the pilot and "essential crew". By the FAA's
definition, there is no essential crew in a single engine airplane. The
wording on mine now says "only persons essential to the purpose of the
flight". My DAR says someone to take data, or other actions for a
particular test purpose, during the flight is quite alright.
So maybe it depends on the discretion of the DAR; which doesn't really
seem appropriate.
Al
I would love to be able to fly the plane down to its home field once a
couple flights is done to continue its fly-off. They have a longer
runway (enough for 747s and 777s.), it is a controlled field and have a
much better support in terms of FBOs and emergency equipments
(hopefully, I won't need their services but it is always nice to know
they're there).
It looks like there is some flexibility in the regs to make arrangements
like that.
Hiroo
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Richard Riley
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 10:45 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Another step
At 10:29 PM 5/9/2006, you wrote:
>Congrats from DU Al....now how ya gonna fly off
>the 40 hrs within 2 weeks so you can get this beast down to the
symposium?
I'll let you all in on a little secret.
In 99 we were finishing a plane to run at
Reno. We did a year's worth of work in about 6
weeks. Got it done a few days before the race.
I got a DAR who'd never inspected a homebuilt
before. He didn't know what homebuilt flight
limitations normally looked like. So I typed them up for him.
We got a test area that was a 25 mile radius
around Camarillo airport, where we did the first
flight. But, we were allowed to test out of a
couple of other airports too. We had a 25 mile
radius around Mojave and Fox, and a 10 mile corridor between them.
And 25 miles around Chino, and a corridor there.
And 25 miles around Stead. And a corridor there.
And that's how it was that were racing at Reno
with an airplane that had it's first flight 4 days earlier.
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.1.392 / Virus Database: 268.5.5/334 - Release Date: 5/8/2006
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060510/4bceb2d8/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list