REFLECTOR: FAR Part 61.31(e)

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Thu Mar 23 00:10:23 CST 2006


At 09:36 PM 3/22/2006, you wrote:
>It's an interesting question.  My plane has neither flaps nor 
>adjustable pitch propeller.  When I raised this question with the 
>instructor I was flying with for my BFR, he opined that it was not a 
>complex airplane, but was "high performance" because it has more 
>than 200 hp.  So all the pilot would need is 'high performance' 
>signoff.  But he also thought the FAA might consider retractable 
>gear as constituting 'complex'.  Fortunately; I have time in both 
>complex and high performance beginning before a "signoff" for these 
>things was required.

I had the same conversation with my instructor - but at the time, I 
was flying a 180 hp Long EZ.  Fixed gear, fixed pitch, no flaps and 
less than 200 hp.  It would do 200 KTAS, but I didn't need a sign of 
any kind.

With the Berkut - 300 hp and retracts - I'll need a high perf.  But 
same story, not complex. 



More information about the Reflector mailing list