REFLECTOR: FAR Part 61.31(e)

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Mar 22 23:36:25 CST 2006


It's an interesting question.  My plane has neither flaps nor adjustable
pitch propeller.  When I raised this question with the instructor I was
flying with for my BFR, he opined that it was not a complex airplane, but
was "high performance" because it has more than 200 hp.  So all the pilot
would need is 'high performance' signoff.  But he also thought the FAA might
consider retractable gear as constituting 'complex'.  Fortunately; I have
time in both complex and high performance beginning before a "signoff" for
these things was required.  

 

Al

 

Subject: REFLECTOR: FAR Part 61.31(e)

 

I know there are some of you out there that just love questions like this.

 

While studying for my BFR, I came across this...

 

FAR 61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization
requirements.

(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except
as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot
in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing
gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a
seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), unless the person has- 

(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized
instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight
training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been
found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and 

(ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an
authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a
complex airplane. 

 

 

The single word that threw me was flaps.   The Velocity does not have flaps.
Can it ever be considered a complex aircraft?

 

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060322/1a15d69d/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list