REFLECTOR: Tire (OZ...= tyre) wear
Rene Dugas
dugasd at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 15 16:56:00 CST 2006
Dear Greg,
My Condor tire tended to touch the lower edge of the strake opening
about 2" lateral to the midline of the tire as the tire comes up at an
angle into the wheel well. This only affected the most outboard edge of
the lower strake opening. I made mine 3/4ths inch larger than where the
tire edge touched laterally and 1/2 inch front and back. The gear door
will fill this void with from 1/8th to 3/8ths inch opening around the
gear doors front and back. The shoulder referred to by others really
only affects the wing tip most edge and the top skin when retracted.
Since the tire is slopped when retracted I sloped my outer wheel well to
regain some of the fuel volume. With a Goodyear the shoulder will
strike my top inner skin before my gear doors close. I could change the
door brackets but the Condors seem adequate for 120 hrs per year flying.
I expect to change mine about each 5 years based on my current wear
rate. My tires were not worn out when I replaced them in November but I
got them with my kit ten years ago. The 6 years in the garage and three
flying seemed to have served me well.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Greg Poole
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:05 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Tire (OZ...= tyre) wear
Thx Ronnie- I'll be in that too if that is OK. Tell me....does anybody
know
if there an extra allowance over and above the tyre diameter to allow
for
the arc the tyres travel + fudge factor? ...one naturally doesn't want
to
overly eat into fuel capacity....
Cheers,
Greg in Sydney.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Wednesday, 15 March 2006 12:08 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Tire (OZ...= tyre) wear
I have a copy of the Aviation Consumer file (PDF) that I can email
(1.8mb)
for anyone that wants a copy.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list