REFLECTOR: fairing in back of windows

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 8 08:32:53 CST 2006


I was not able to find an aswer in the archives (which, btw, are not at 
all easy to search, one needs to go through each month and use browser's 
"find"), so here I am with another question.

Is the microbaloon slury that we use for fairing the back of the windows 
going to be visible from the inside of the airplane once the airplane is 
finished, or some window-frames will cover it?  I understand that we 
should smooth and trim it as well as we can while it is still wet, because 
it will be hard to sand/trim after it cures, but I do not understand 
whether this is important because the fairing will be visible or for other 
reasons.

The reason for my concern is the following.  A hint in the manual says: 
"it is not mandatory, but you can also back up this Micro-Balloon with a 
ply of BID arround the windows".  I would not mind doing it, but I would 
be concerned with how it looks in case that will remain visible; I think 
a smooth microbaloon can be made to look better than a ply of BID.

Grigore


More information about the Reflector mailing list