REFLECTOR: Coarse/Fine BID

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 22 10:05:18 CDT 2006


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jorge Bujanda" <jbujanda at dslextreme.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 9:13 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Coarse/Fine BID


> The manual calls for fine BID to reinforce the vertical and horizontal
> seams of bulkheads and baffles (Fig. 9-16. Fuel baffle and bulkhead
> location.).  Although up until now I have used coarse BID almost
> exclusively, I ran out of fine BID glassing the Divinicel for the fuel
> tanks and I am about to start glassing the baffles and bulkheads.
> 1.  Can coarse and fine BID be used interchangeably?

While I think that in some instances you could substitute one for the other, 
they are not interchangeable.

> 2.  Can I use coarse BID to reinforce the horizontal and vertical seams
> of bulkheads and baffles without increasing the risk of leaks?  Seems to
> me like the fine BID would seal better due to a tighter weave.  Am I
> wrong?

Since the factory makes a point of specifying fine BID I think you would be 
wise not to deviate from their recommendation.

> 4.  Is there a difference in weight between the two?
> Comments would be appreciated.

I don't think weight is an issue here but rather the physical properties of 
the two.

Larry Coen
N136 LC

>
> Regards,
> Jorge Bujanda
> Palmdale, CA
> XL FG
> Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 


More information about the Reflector mailing list