REFLECTOR: help! damaged prop
Sid Knox
sbjknox at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 18 12:39:58 CDT 2006
Tim,
Same type of landing.... similar damage. Here is how I fixed mine:
1) choose worst blade (most damage).
2) grind or cut (I used a Mikita hand-held grinder) away until all nasty
part is gone and the wood is mostly solid (some ragged edge is ok).
3) make a cardboard (cereal box) template that has the shape of the new
end.
4) using template, mark and grind the remaining two tips.
At this point all three blades should look identical. Now, the next part is
easy to do but difficult to describe....
5) drill 10 or 12 really small holes thru the blade at the tip...most of
them completely thru the blade from one side to the other near the tip.
Drill some more from the "open" end (bare wood) down towards the hub. The
purpose of the holes is to give the epoxy something to "bite" into.
6) mix some JB Weld (regular, not Quik) and work it into all the holes...
use a small wire or similar.... be sure all holes are filled.
7) work the JB Weld into the wood really well and sort of shape it to make
it look like the tip looked like before the damage. Try and use equal
amounts of epoxy on each blade....yes, this is eyeball guess but do as best
as you can.
8) after the epoxy sets, grind and sand to get final shape. Here too, you
can perhaps equal-out (more eyeball guess) the amount of mass you are
adding.
Notes:
1) because the days are hot, the JB Weld may have a tendency to slump before
it kicks. One way to avoid this is to mix a small amount of finely chopped
glass (with scissors, carefully cut very short pieces of fiberglass) into
the mix. Just a little thickens it up nicely and the added glass makes a
stronger filler.
2) I "modified" my MT in Feb 2002 and it has been ok since then. I have
not done a balance.
Sid Knox
Oklahoma
Velocity N199RS
Starduster N666SK
W7QJQ
----- Original Message -----
From: <TimRhod at aol.com>
To: <Reflector at tvbf.org>
Cc: <TimRhod at aol.com>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 8:14 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: help! damaged prop
> Reflectorites: I need the wisdom of some who may have experience in
> damaged MT Props. In a rather nose up landing I apparently struck the
> prop on the
> runway because I noticed about 1/2 inch missing from the ends of each
> blade
> after the flight. It is cracked and shredded about another inch into the
> blades. Question: Is it possible to cut off the ends equally on each
> blade about
> another inch to get to solid wood and epoxy over the ends? Is this
> prudent?
> or is the prop trash? I am scheduled to run in the airventure cup race
> on
> Sunday but if I cant modify the prop safely than I'll have to scratch.
> Thanks Tim Rhodenbaugh
>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060718/47ac2530/attachment.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Velocity, prop strike.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 58013 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060718/47ac2530/attachment-0001.jpe
More information about the Reflector
mailing list