REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 26, Issue 41 Burnt rubber scare

Mark Riley anriley at comcast.net
Wed Jul 12 21:40:48 CDT 2006


I had the same thing. It happened as I was flying off my hours and started
raising the gear immediately after liftoff. I was really disconcerted the
first time, but eventually just started holding off for 10 or 15 seconds
till the nose wheel spun down before retracting it. Eventually I just
ignored it as I found no scuff marks or ill effects.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:02 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 26, Issue 41

Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1.  Ouch! (Laurence Coen)
   2. Re:  Ouch! (Al Gietzen)
   3.  Yoke elevator friction load (Hiroo Umeno)
   4. Re:  Ouch! (Pat Shea)
   5. Re:  Yoke elevator friction load (KMis178813 at aol.com)
   6. Re:  Ouch! (Scott Derrick)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:33:04 -0500
From: "Laurence Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Ouch!
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <BAY105-DAV43EE2911074290EA08A0CD3690 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"

BlankI scared the "pee-wiz" out of myself today.  Nice day, all systems 
green, good take-off, great climb, gear up and then the smell of burning 
rubber.  Oh m'Gawd, I'm on fire.  Not so.  What was different about this 
take-off  was that I raised the gear sooner than I had before.  The nose 
wheel was still spun up when the doors closed and rubbed on the wheel. 
Instant stink.  Outside of taking a couple of years off my life, no harm was

done.

When I tested the system on the ground, there is lots of clearance between 
the nose wheel and the doors but this is after the mains are up and the 
system is fully pressurized.  It seems that the nose wheel contacts the 
doors while the mains are coming up.  Has this happened to anyone else, or 
am I that special?

Larry Coen
N136LC SE/RG Franklin 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/6bfef0fd/
attachment-0001.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif
Size: 145 bytes
Desc: not available
Url :
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/6bfef0fd/
attachment-0001.gif 

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:41:30 -0700
From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ouch!
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
	<reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <000501c6a60c$b3550630$6400a8c0 at BigAl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Larry;

Yeah, we don't need those kinds of scares.

You might check the adjustment of the sequence valve detent button - thread
it in a bit so the gear doors don't start to close quite so soon.  But then
you probably already thought of that.

Al

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Laurence Coen
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 2:33 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Ouch!

 

I scared the "pee-wiz" out of myself today.  Nice day, all systems green,
good take-off, great climb, gear up and then the smell of burning rubber.
Oh m'Gawd, I'm on fire.  Not so.  What was different about this take-off
was that I raised the gear sooner than I had before.  The nose wheel was
still spun up when the doors closed and rubbed on the wheel.  Instant stink.
Outside of taking a couple of years off my life, no harm was done.

 

When I tested the system on the ground, there is lots of clearance between
the nose wheel and the doors but this is after the mains are up and the
system is fully pressurized.  It seems that the nose wheel contacts the
doors while the mains are coming up.  Has this happened to anyone else, or
am I that special?

 

Larry Coen

N136LC SE/RG Franklin

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/a8cc13b6/
attachment-0001.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/gif
Size: 145 bytes
Desc: not available
Url :
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/a8cc13b6/
attachment-0001.gif 

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:55:14 -0700
From: "Hiroo Umeno" <humeno at microsoft.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Yoke elevator friction load
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID:
	
<CC381FC09CE81C43BF0C63966BF4C66F030137E5 at RED-MSG-11.redmond.corp.microsoft.
com>
	
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

My plane has a dual-yoke system.  As I was getting the plane ready for
final inspection, and cycling through all the controls, I noticed that
my elevator control was quite "heavy".  In that, cycling the trim did
not really move the elevators on its own but rather applied bias
pressure to the elevator system so that when I do move the control by
hand, it will settle in a different position.

 

>From my previous experiences flying various Cessna products, the
elevator control while on ground, stopped, is quite light but stiffens
when the flying surface is loaded with aerodynamic forces.

 

I have also read that the elevators on Velocities are quite effective
and take very little input to make the plane do what they need to and
Cessna drivers have a tendency to over-control.

 

So, for those in the minority who are flying the yoke system, how stiff
is your yoke system?  How much force does it take to move the elevator
up and down?  Does your trim motor move the elevator on the ground
without you "assisting" the yoke?

 

Hiroo

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/da2d606f/
attachment.html 

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:43:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ouch!
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <20060712234346.73010.qmail at web51903.mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Larry,

My did the same thing - but my nose wheel would rub on
the bottom of the small hatch cover. The black skid
marks were easy to spot... Like you, in the hangar I
had lots of clearance which had me scratching my head
for a minute. Then, with the gear retracted and the
hatch cover off, I grabbed the nose gear and could
easily lift it up an inch or two. In flight, the nose
tire would essentially "bounce" off the the bottom of
the hatch. I sanded down the contact spot on the
hatch, but still get light contact every now and then
(along w/ the corresponding odor. Probably a better
fix would be to install a foam stopper just aft of the
small hatch to prevent this additional travel. This
pad could contact the flat spot on the top of the nose
fork. I haven't really looked - maybe there's a better
location for a stopper.

FWIW, Pat   

--- Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I tested the system on the ground, there is
> lots of clearance between 
> the nose wheel and the doors but this is after the
> mains are up and the 
> system is fully pressurized.  It seems that the nose
> wheel contacts the 
> doors while the mains are coming up.  Has this
> happened to anyone else, or 
> am I that special?
> 
> Larry Coen
> N136LC SE/RG Franklin 


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:15:55 EDT
From: KMis178813 at aol.com
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Yoke elevator friction load
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Message-ID: <500.32893c1.31e6f8cb at aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hiroo
    I am flying an SUV with yokes. The trim does move  the elevator, on the 
ground, but reluctantly. If you move the elevator by hand  it will then
settle 
at a different position. In flight it works perfect even  without the
sparrow 
strainer. I make it a habit to lube the linkages  (very light oil) every
time 
I have the canard cover off for just that  reason. It has freed up a little 
over 500 hrs. of flight.
                                                                   Ken     
N2087M SUV FG    &
 

XLRG-5  Still building
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060712/f54a8529/
attachment.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:58:51 -0600
From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ouch!
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <44B59ACB.2090006 at tnstaafl.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed

I get that that now and then if I immediately raise the gear after 
liftoff.  If I wait until my usual 500 AGL point the gear as slowed 
enough that It doesn't burn the rubber.

Another good thing to do is to step on the brakes after liftoff to stop 
the mains from spinning before retraction. Only time I don't do this is 
when taking off in wet conditions and its cold, I'd hate to freeze my 
gear up in the wells, so I let um spin as much moisture off as they can 
before bringing them up.

Scott

Laurence Coen wrote:
> I scared the "pee-wiz" out of myself today.  Nice day, all systems 
> green, good take-off, great climb, gear up and then the smell of 
> burning rubber.  Oh m'Gawd, I'm on fire.  Not so.  What was different 
> about this take-off  was that I raised the gear sooner than I had 
> before.  The nose wheel was still spun up when the doors closed and 
> rubbed on the wheel.  Instant stink.  Outside of taking a couple of 
> years off my life, no harm was done.
>  
> When I tested the system on the ground, there is lots of clearance 
> between the nose wheel and the doors but this is after the mains are 
> up and the system is fully pressurized.  It seems that the nose wheel 
> contacts the doors while the mains are coming up.  Has this happened 
> to anyone else, or am I that special?
>  
> Larry Coen
> N136LC SE/RG Franklin
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 

-
    The true barriers of our liberty in this country are our state
governments...

    Thomas Jefferson 



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 26, Issue 41
*****************************************




More information about the Reflector mailing list