REFLECTOR: ram air

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 15:00:38 CDT 2006


Steve, I think you meant to say 3.3% increase in horsepower for every inch 
of increase of manifold pressure over std atmospheric. For example, a 1" 
increase of manifold pressure (from 30" to 31") on a 200 hp engine would add 
6.7 hp, or 10 hp on a 300 hp engine. A pretty significant increase.

I think I remember reading that it's about 1" of ram pressure at 200 mph at 
sea level, so it's worth the effort if you want the highest speed from the 
plane.

I also used the factory inlet scoop mounted under the plane in front of the 
firewall and modified it so that after it passed through the firewall (3' 
aluminum curved pipe) it went into a SS box holding a a/c air filter. I then 
used scat tubing to the servo, but I also have a 1.5" flapper valve that 
opens in case of blockage to allow in heated engine compartment air.

Chuck H 




More information about the Reflector mailing list