REFLECTOR: Wiring in ducts
nmflyer1 at aol.com
nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 16:31:31 CDT 2006
Keith,
I ran mine thru the same duct. I have a conduit ground system though which is supposed to help. Also, I bought a roll of Very nice wire. It is 2 sets of 22g twisted pair wires. Each set is shielded, and there is a trailing wire to connect your shields to Gnd. The whole thing is teflex insulated, so the whole set of 4 wires, shielding and insulation is about 1/8" dia. I built each "run" on the wing.. then pulled it thru using a fish tape. the runs are: right side sensors etc... then left side sensors..etc... then I have lots of stuff on the forward side of the firewall.
I was surprised how well it all fit. In my right duct, I have the conduit ground (1/2" copper tube) with the big #2 wire inside of it. plus one of my forward cooler/heater 5/8" lines.
I should have this sucker running next week... so I'll let you know how it pans out.
Kurt Winker
-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Hallsten <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 19:49:27 -0700
Subject: REFLECTOR: Wiring in ducts
I’m about to start pulling wire, and wanted to ask whether anyone has run engine instrumentation wiring in the same duct as the big #2 alternator feed/starter/engine ground wires. I know that it’s considered good practice to separate the fat conductors from the little wires, in order to keep the noisy big currents, alternator whine and associated magnetic fields away from the signal wires.
However, I’m not enthusiastic about running either type of wires through the pilot’s-side duct with the oil cooler lines. I’m afraid that long term exposure to the high temperatures will tend to cook the insulation. I’m going to be running a lot of thermocouple wires, pressure and temperature signal wires, capacitive fuel gauge lines, and tach pulse lead up to the Grand Rapids EIS 6000 engine monitor in the panel. I don’t know if the potential electrical noise or the heat of the oil cooler lines will be the bigger threat to their function and life. So I’m undecided which is likely to be the better scheme. What say you?
Keith Hallsten
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
________________________________________________________________________
Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures, email and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060703/480662b0/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list