REFLECTOR: Wiring in ducts

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon Jul 3 09:16:43 CDT 2006


I've flown my velocity for 450 hours with all the instrumentation wires 
in the same duct as the big starter/alternator wire with no problems.

My experience with running wires in ducting for equipment has always 
been to keep high voltage away from low voltage and the AC away form the 
DC, but thats more of a safety issue.

Scott

Keith Hallsten wrote:
>
> I’m about to start pulling wire, and wanted to ask whether anyone has 
> run engine instrumentation wiring in the same duct as the big #2 
> alternator feed/starter/engine ground wires. I know that it’s 
> considered good practice to separate the fat conductors from the 
> little wires, in order to keep the noisy big currents, alternator 
> whine and associated magnetic fields away from the signal wires.
>
> However, I’m not enthusiastic about running either type of wires 
> through the pilot’s-side duct with the oil cooler lines. I’m afraid 
> that long term exposure to the high temperatures will tend to cook the 
> insulation. I’m going to be running a lot of thermocouple wires, 
> pressure and temperature signal wires, capacitive fuel gauge lines, 
> and tach pulse lead up to the Grand Rapids EIS 6000 engine monitor in 
> the panel. I don’t know if the potential electrical noise or the heat 
> of the oil cooler lines will be the bigger threat to their function 
> and life. So I’m undecided which is likely to be the better scheme. 
> What say you?
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 

-
    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

    Richard Childers 



More information about the Reflector mailing list