REFLECTOR: Close Encounter

gattenby at tulsaconnect.com gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Jan 23 18:36:41 CST 2006


Don't count on trafic following or the tower to keep 
others away or even inform you of trafic.
The closest I been to a in air contact came on a 2 mile 
final at an airport with an active tower and approch 
control.

They vectored a 737 on base to a short final to 35R when I 
was cleared for 35L.
When you are in a 152 and you can hear the 737 above, but 
can't see it.. and more importanly wasn't told about it... 
kinda makes you not trust the guys anymore.

Noel

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:50:56 -0700
  Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> Exactly, I was waiting for 9,500 before calling ABQ 
>center for flight following.  They lost radar on the 
>inbound leg 30 minutes prior, when descending through 
>9300 in about the same location.  Luke probably had me on 
>radar but thats not their area.
> 
> I was in a T210 and the wing was blocking my view of to 
>the south.  He was just coming out of that obstruction 
>when I saw him.  The Velocity offers much better 
>visibility in flight.
> 
> I am also constantly amazed at how hard it is to see 
>airplanes that are within a mile of my position when 
>traffic is quoted by ATC.  I don't blame the other guy at 
>all, he looked like he was paying attention. Just looking 
>level and forward at the time.   Now if he had been 
>reaching back to get a beer out of the cooler, well thats 
>another story.
> 
> Scott
> 
> nmflyer1 at aol.com wrote:
>> If Scott was where I think he was (over by the twin 
>>peaks)  
>> approach(who is really poor, By the way)  won't  talk to 
>>you there, 
>> And Center  radar  can not  see down that low to help.
>>  
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Sent: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:45:04 EST
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Close Encounter
>>
>> Scott,
>>
>> If not on an IFR flight plan, flight following is a 
>>must, provides
>> an extra pair of eyes. Never fly VFR without it.
>>
>> Mike W.
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery 
>><http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail 
>><http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>
>> Check old archives: 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: 
>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list