REFLECTOR: Aileron balance

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 17:39:01 CST 2006


Al,

I think the simple answer in in-trail. You could
always compare the difference between the wing aligned
with the incidence gauge versus leveled using the
wing's leading and trailing edges (chord line level).
I suspect it would be negligible for balancing
purposes. One trick for checking the aileron balance
with the ailerons installed is to temporarily replace
the hinge pins with wire of slightly smaller diameter.
I think I used the wire from some clothing hangars.
The ailerons hung freely and always came back to the
same position after being moved.

Pat   

--- Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net> wrote:

> I followed the approach of installing a one-piece
> aileron torque tube (no
> u-joint) as recommended by Alan Shaw years ago. 
> That tube has to have a
> slight bend near the aileron to fit through the wing
> root to the bell-crank
> bearing.  Now I'm wondering what the implications
> are to obtaining the
> correct final balance. 
> 
>  
> 
> I'm assuming it is still a question of having the
> overall center-of-mass at
> the pivot point with the chord of the aileron level
> - correct?  How does
> that relate to trailing edge alignment when the
> aileron is installed and the
> wing is aligned with the incidence gauge?
> 
>  
> 
> Al
> 
> > _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list