REFLECTOR: Canard - good news
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Dec 21 22:19:39 CST 2006
You may recall from a few months back my concerns about too much lift (and
too high a stall speed) on my Wingco canard. I had installed shims on the
torsion tabs to reduce the incidence by about ¾ of a degree (I thought); and
found that it didnt help much. The folks at the factory said I should not
reduce it more than a degree, and suggested installing VGs on the wing.
I installed the VGs over the span in front of the ailerons, and then double
checked the canard incidence. Turned out that I had only reduced it by
about ½ a degree. So with some more grinding and adjusting I further
reduced the incidence to about 1 degree (which happens to be quite close to
two stir stick thicknesses under the incidence gauge at the leading edge, as
suggested by Scott Swing). The plane now handles better, stalls at 68-70
knots, and flies at 195 KIAS (210 KTAS) with the elevator trailing edge
about ¾ to 1 up and some trim to spare (CG about middle of the box).
Im happy! This is now a very nice handling airplane.
Happy Holidays to all!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061221/0bcf0304/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list