REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 31, Issue 30
matt
mbuc310 at cox.net
Mon Dec 11 08:41:51 CST 2006
My first moment. I frosted the canard this weekend. Made dust, had fun. Wife
thinks I am crazy.
Matt
Today's Topics:
1. Re: "Builders Moments" (Alex)
2. First Flight! (cgputney at peoplepc.com)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:17:58 -0600
From: "Alex" <alex157 at pwhome.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <013801c71c87$85222a80$6401a8c0 at ALEX>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
yea- took me about 3 days to get a wing built, but over a week to figure
out why my fuel injectors were not firing (wrong connectors) sure takes the
pleasure out of things when you can not see the progress- my plane has
looked the same for well over a year- more things are working than before,
just hard to tell.....
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Christopher Barber
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:21 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
I know what you mean Alex, I am at that stage where soooo much has been
done, and it looks like and "feels" like a real airplane, BUT there are
SOOOOOO many little things to do.....like that pesky first engine start <g>.
I do feel as if I am completing an airplane now instead of making airplane
parts.....that may be the problem, there is so much to do, little things
that need to all fall together to actually finish. I have spent a lot of
time out at the hangar, but the progress is not as obvious now.....before, I
got exited, "hey, I am starting the canard" .....very obvious
milestone......now it is more like "hey, my throttle cable sure is moving
smoothly".......still great to me, but not quite the same impact. The
Builder's Moments need to now gel into a flying hours.
Once again Andy, nicely done. It makes me even more anxious to get flying
and take a trip to MI.
All the best,
Chris
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alex
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 5:12 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
I think I have had that moment going for about 5 months now- I am sure
something will eventually fall on my head and I will be able to get
something done, but seems like I go to the hanger every week, but no
progress to speak of--------- almost got engine start 2 weeks ago though-
felt good to see some exhaust exiting the pipe, only had 3/6 firing though-
need to troubleshoot- will stare at it for a few hours in the
morning......maybe some Christmas fairies will show up to finish it while I
am asleep......
Alex
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jorge Bujanda
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 2:28 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
Yes? I?ve heard it Chuck; just jealousy because we are bold? truly
experimental aviation spirit.
While non-canard aviators try to stabilize their ships by using the wings?
downwash on their stabilators, we use our canards as wing area for lift in
the front and Fowler flaps as elevators. How?s that for efficiency?
Of course we can figure out our engine goes in the back alright!
By the way, I am having problems of space mounting my engine (not a
Builder?s Moment). My spinner will not fit between the engine and the
firewall (puzzled!). Is there an adapter I can use; maybe 90? or something?
How have you already flying Velo pilots dealt with this? Pictures would be
greatly appreciated?..!
Jorge
PS. Great article Andy!
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 5:30 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
Andy,
Yes, very erudite and comes closest to the inexplicable, inexpressible and
unexplainable satisfaction that comes from building, fixing and flying.
Unlike driving, talking on the phone and other mundane life activities that
we engage in because we must, building and flying is something we engage in
because we want to. It is the differences between paying taxes and giving
to a charitable cause--both reduce our treasury, but the voluntary one is
always imminently more satisfying.
The thoughtfulness and intelligence evidenced in your article will help
dispel the notion that canard builders aren't smart enough to figure out
which end of the plane the engine is supposed to go on!!!
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andy Millin
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 1:23 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
Thanks Chris!
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Christopher Barber
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 9:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
Nicely done Andy.
All the best,
Chris
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Richard J. Gentil
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:09 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: "Builders Moments"
Yes Andy,
It was a great article. Well Done!
Richard
len.baxter at gm.com wrote:
Andy Millin
Just recieved the latest Sport Aviation....... Your letter on " Builders
moments" was outstanding. Articulate and profound !!!! Nice picture!!!
My XLRG fastbuild is now in my house/ hanger at 9G2 and I cant wait for my
first "Builders moment" ..... I just hope its a positive moment!!!!!
Len
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
<http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> Possible fraud attempt from
"3d"http:" claiming to be http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery> Possible fraud attempt
from "3d"http:" claiming to be www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail> Possible fraud
attempt
from "3d"http:" claiming to be www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: <http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
Possible fraud attempt from "3d"http:" claiming to be
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.409 / Virus Database: 268.15.9/571 - Release Date: 12/5/2006
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061210/ee1db903/
attachment.html
------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:55:49 -0600
From: <cgputney at peoplepc.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: First Flight!
To: "Reflector -" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <000801c71ccf$de1a6bf0$a2aa9f04 at RALPH>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
After 13 years, our Velocity 173RG top door finally flew. A thorough
inspection and then lift off from our airpark by expert pilot and mechanic
Steve Murphree was quite exciting.
Only heavy ailerons marred an otherwise fine flying machine. The roll forces
have been eased somewhat by reducing the radius to the cable attach point at
the "keel" bellcrank but still preclude any easy directional control above
pattern speed.
Question: do all 173 wings have a concave underside at the ailerons? One bit
of advice was to fill this modest concavity to reduce these high forces. Has
anyone else done this? The roll forces on the Sebastion trainer using
apparently the same wing were nothing like mine! The ailerons "float" about
3/8" high at 140 knots, even after converting the aileron torque tubes to
steel and carefully removing all lost motion in the roll circuit. The only
elements left to deflect under load are the push-pull cable cores under
compression.
The IO540 performed flawlessly and needed only some idle adjustments, but
there is a list of squawks in other areas to work on before the next
flights.
Thanks to all who contributed to this success, knowingly or not. The
Reflector remains a rich source of information.
Gordon Putney
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061210/c65163fa/
attachment.html
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
End of Reflector Digest, Vol 31, Issue 30
*****************************************
__________ NOD32 1914 (20061211) Information __________
This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list