REFLECTOR: CHTs and EGTs

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sat Dec 9 12:34:08 CST 2006


I use my RMI (w/Franklin engine) exactly as you are planning.  The temps
do stay fairly consistent.  I would love to have all 6 cyl readings, but
I don't feel it's worth the effort to change.  If I was starting from
scratch, I would choose one with all 6 readings.

John

Douglas Holub wrote:

> A Rocky Mountain Instrument micro-Monitor came with my second-hand
> Velocity kit. The only reason I wouldn't use it instead of some of the
> other engine monitors is that it can only read one CHT and one EGT at
> a time.  I can install two rotary switches that select which cylinders
> are being measured. I was thinking I would figure out pretty quickly
> which cylinder runs the hottest, and then just keep the switch on that
> cylinder most of the time, and maybe look at the temperatures of the
> other cylinders every now and then. You can program limits for all of
> the measured parameters, and if the parameter exceeds the limit then
> an alarm goes off. I'm planning on using an ECI or Superior I/O 360.
> Will constantly monitoring only one cylinder for CHT and one cylinder
> for EGT be safe enough?  Are some cylinders hotter some times and
> other cylinders hotter at other times?  What could go wrong that would
> cause a cylinder to suddenly start getting hot? Maybe some baffling
> comes loose? If a cylinder quit firing it would get cooler fast, but I
> think I would notice that pretty quickly without looking at the
> temperature gauge.I could design a circuit that detects the hottest
> CHT and EGT and sends those thermocouple signals to the engine
> monitor, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble.Doug
> Holubtop door, FG, I see no light at the end of the tunnel
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061209/a61dde08/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list